Cases involving both Civil and Criminal litigation can involve large amounts of financial information. Having a legal professional review all relevant documentation can be costly and overwhelming. Our firm can help by reviewing the financial information, perform an analysis or computation to help summarize facts in a clear concise report. We can further testify in court to support our findings.
In addition to standard investigative services available to law firms, we further specialize in the following areas:
- Pre-Litigation case analysis
- Discovery assistance and analysis of records
- Criminal and civil case preparation assistance
- Financial Investigations to include financial statement reviews, examination and interviews
- Calculate financial losses and issue a report of findings
- Consulting expert for your legal team (non-testifying)
- Skip Trace and witness location
- Witness statements: notarized and voluntary
- Background, both personal and due diligence investigations
- Tracing of assets in business litigation and domestic matters
Critical Response for Business and Internal Control Review
According to the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners’ Report to the Nations 2018 Global Study on Occupational Fraud and Abuse, small businesses suffer a median loss of $200,000 per fraud. As a small business you cannot afford to lose any money. Do you believe your organization is financially bleeding? Have your internal controls been compromised? We can respond to identify the leak and stop the bleeding, review your current controls, and provide recommendations to strengthen them.
When a business discovers that a trusted employee has stolen, it can be paralyzing and emotionally devastating. We can assist by responding and conducting an internal review to identify what happened and to what extent the financial loss may be. Our findings can be documented in a factually supported and understandable report which can help with the filing of insurance claims for employee theft.
In addition to employee embezzlement investigations, our firm can assist with employment issues, business or partnership disputes, financial fraud schemes or other matters involving misappropriation of assets. We can offer the most cost-effective solutions to assist with mitigating fraud and theft from your organization.
- Pre-employment background check
- Investigating allegations of fraud & financial discrepancies
- Money laundering
- Employment investigations involving allegations of theft or fraud
- Proof of loss for insurance claims due to employee theft
- Fraud in the construction industry
- Consult with law enforcement on matters of fraud and white-collar crime
- Investment fraud to include Ponzi schemes and asset misappropriation
- Interview and obtain witness/suspect sworn statements
- Due diligence investigations
- Account take-over schemes
Employee Theft or Embezzlement
When a trusted employee steals from you, what do you do?
Our office can assist and help determine what happened and to what extent the theft has exposed your company. In addition to the internal review, we can conduct interviews, identify relevant documents, and quantify losses that would be helpful to law enforcement if the case is referred for criminal prosecution.
Elder Financial Abuse
With experience in investigating perpetrators who have targeted our seniors for personal gain, our firm addresses a segment of society that is often underserved.
Stephen has investigated numerous cases involving the misappropriation of money and assets from society’s most vulnerable. With his knowledge and expertise in this area, Stephen is certified by the Florida Attorney General’s Office as an Elder Crimes Practitioner. This designation is awarded after the completion of advanced training on elder abuse. Along with this designation. Stephen has instructed for the Attorney General’s Office educating and teaching both industry professionals and law enforcement officers how to investigate, assist, and address financial elder abuse.
If you have concerns with internet scams, financial exploitation, or the whereabouts of missing assets we can assist with finding answers.
Areas where we can be of assistance:
- Background checks on caregivers and other people of interest
- Financial investigations
- Assessment and financial statement reviews
- Tracing of assets
- Probate matters
- Fraudulent Power of Attorney
- Breach of fiduciary duties
Every investigation is unique. Depending on the details of the case, the actual approach used and procedures taken will address those specific questions needing answers. We will use a forensic approach to analyze and determine the who, what, when, where, why, and how of your case. In general, we will perform an in-depth review of documents, information or data collected for an investigation. We will identify the relevant issues and analyze them in order to establish what took place. Our analysis will be based on supportable facts with logical conclusions.
Fraud Education Services
Stephen continues to promote his experiences and investigative techniques through public speaking engagements to include local universities and professional organizations. In 2016, Stephen was a guest speaker at Florida Southern College’s inaugural Fraud Conference which is now hosted annually for Continuing Professional Education credit. In 2017 and 2020 he presented to the Florida Institute of CPA’s Polk County Chapter on When Fraud and Business Collide and Effective Use of a Private Investigator. Stephen continues to speak at various venues on the topics of fraud in the business community.
Stephen offers on or off-site speaking engagements to educate and bring attention to fraud awareness. By educating employees and the implementation of proactive measure, fraud instances and losses can be mitigated.